The main task of a tool mechanic is the manufacture of punching, forming and cutting tools and the downstream and associated tools. They also build all kinds of fixtures and produce spare parts for repairs.
The tool mechanics work with the latest technology, such as vertical and wire eroding machines and CNC grinding, turning and milling machines. The planning, implementation and evaluation of a tool is teamwork. Success is decided by communication between colleagues.
Basic conditions for training as tool mechanic are good knowledge of mathematics, physics and geometry and a good spatial awareness.
Tool mechanics with specialism in punching technology
- produce in particular press and embossing dies as well as punching and forming tools
- plan and control processes, work as a team
- work with programmable CNC machine tools
- create fixtures and resources for industrial production
- control, document and optimise production processes
- apply technical documentation and make use of the latest communication systems